AGS Server Studio and Sentinel together provide powerful solutions that help seasoned database professionals and novices manage Informix data servers with unprecedented ease and improved productivity. This suite of integrated, highly intuitive system management tools provides wide-ranging functionality to support your organization’s vital databases — from initial design, development and testing, all the way through to production deployment and successful operational service.
Release 10 is now generally available
This new release of the industry-leading multi-platform graphical development and management environment has undergone a substantial upgrade in functionality and now provides DBAs and developers with an even richer collection of easy-to-use, proven tools to manage effectively and with ease complexities of the Informix data servers' infrastructure - from initial design and development, all the way through to production deployment and successful operational service.
Here is a list of new features and enhancements in the Release 10 of Server Studio & Sentinel:
· Data Masking is an important part of any organization's data governance solution. The most common use of data masking is to create test data for non-production environments, such as application development and QA, while protecting personally identifiable, personally sensitive or commercially sensitive data. Development and QA department personnel usually do not have required security clearance to access actual production data. However, in order to create and test robust business applications, they need to work with data sets that closely resemble real-world data. Server Studio provides a number of data masking methods, such as Random Substitution, Substitution from Database objects and Files, Shuffling, Number and Date Variance, Masking Out of text data, and more.
· SQL Script Substitution Variables provide an easy way to execute scripts in situations when you need to run the same SQL queries multiple times or periodically applying a different set of parameters for each script execution, for example during application tests or when running system reports. Using variables in these situations eliminates a task of modifying SQL syntax every time you need to provide a new parameter value, such as report dates or customer code. This feature is especially valuable when the same parameter is used in SQL script in multiple places and the value of this parameter must be edited every time in all places. Without usage of script variables, there is a high probability of error - not only a syntax error but also an error of getting incorrect SQL query result. Substitution variables can be used in SQL scripts in place of constant values, names of columns or tables. If a SQL script contains substitution variables, the dialog box prompting to enter their values opens automatically when a user attempts to execute this script.
· The Columns folder under a database node in the Object Explorer provides an integrated view of all columns for all tables in a database. This view is very useful when analyzing database structure and table dependencies. It also can be used to identify columns that require data masking during creation of test data sets based on production data. You can use the new Server Studio's Data Masking wizard to obfuscate identified data and create required test data sets. The Columns view provides table, column name and datatype filtering capabilities for easy object searches. Indexing, nulling, datatypes, default column data information is displayed in a single grid for all database columns. There are navigations to underlying table structure and data viewers and editors.
· You can schedule Sentinel's alert blackout periods for planned Informix server down time to avoid receiving false alerts from Sentinel monitors and jobs. This is useful when you know in advance that you are going to take Informix server down for maintenance or an upgrade. When an alert blackout period is activated, Sentinel will not send out any alerts for the specified servers. Sentinel administrators will be notified whenever a blackout period starts and ends via Server Studio alerts and email messages sent to administrator's email address.
· Server Studio has been certified and bundled with Java VM 1.7, which provides enhanced application security and performance. Previous versions of Server Studio were certified only under Java VM 1.6 or 1.5, which are not currently supported by Oracle Corporation.
| Server Studio™
||Server Studio™ provides a comprehensive collection of modern, easy-to-use, proven tools for DBAs and developers that emulate the natural workflow and improve efficiency of performing common database tasks such as: SQL development and debugging, schema management, configuration auditing and change management, performance tuning, data storage management and reorganization, security administration and much more — all from an integrated graphical console that unites all development, administration and maintenance activities for your entire IBM Informix® data servers infrastructure at a centralized point of control.
| Sentinel ™
Sentinel™ automates proactive 24 × 7 operational monitoring of IBM Informix® data servers, provides an extensive array of sophisticated diagnostics tools to tune critical performance parameters, executes regular database maintenance tasks, enables setting of highly flexible multi-level alerts to flag availability and performance degradation problems and manages autonomic responses to server events in real time.
Sentinel Release 10 offers 2 distinct editions of the product, each designed to address specific needs.
Sentinel™ — Performance Management Option (“PMO”) edition provides a comprehensive, easy-to-use discovery, analysis and response automation solution that enables rapid identification and remediation of database performance problems in your IBM Informix® data servers’ environment. It enables database professionals to quickly and easily:
- automate wide-ranging 24 x 7 monitoring of data servers' operations in real time
- execute regularly scheduled data server maintenance and administration tasks
- enable flexible alerting to provide proactive notification of performance degradation problems
- manage scenarios for autonomic responses to server anomaly events
Sentinel™ — Change Management Option (“CMO”) edition provides an integrated solution for database administrators and application developers to simplify and automate database configuration change management and ensure system's availability, performance and compliance. It enables database professionals to quickly and easily:
- Capture and version database definitions in baselines
- Compare databases or baselines to track changes
- Reverse engineer object or schema definitions
- Roll-out, roll-back and recover lost or damaged database objects.